Friday, December 12, 2008

Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation: That is how I feel most of this trip. LOL. Actually, I am gaining a lot of humor out of it. :-)

I know, I'm a week behind in me journal. Tomorrow is a rest day. I also found out how to check our internet usage. We purchased 10GB of data transfer. We've used only about 0.5 GB. That means I can start uploading pictures. In the meantime, here are some new words or phrases we have learned.

Ag man!: Oh man!

Aikona!: No way!

Baie dankie (sounds a lot like "Buy a donkey"): Thank you

Bottle shop: Liquor story

Cherry: Girlfriend

Choccochino: Mocha

Clamping zone: Tow zone

Cozzie: Swinsuit

Doff: Stupid

Eish: Interjection. Has many meanings depending on how it is used. For example: Eish, it has been a long day. Or, put it at the end of most any sentence.

Howzit?: How are you?

Izzit?: Really?

Joburg: Johannesburg

Jolling: Having fun

Just Now: In Joburg – Right now. In Cape Town – Some time soon. Some where between the next 5 minutes and the next 5 days. For example: I’ll do that just now. Or, I'll update my blog just now.

Mozzie: Mosquito

My bru: My brother

My China: My mate

Now now: Very soon.

On holiday: On vacation or holiday. For example: How long are you here on holiday?

Lekker: Great or Awesome. For example: This trip has been lekker!

Pardon you: Excuse me

Robot: Traffic light. For example: Turn right at the robot.

Sammie: Sandwich

Stikent: In Excess

Takkies: Sneakers

Take Away: Take out, To Go, or doggy bag

Yebo: Yes


No comments: