Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday, December 6, 2008

This trip has been incredible experience. When we arrived last night, it was quite dark and very windy. We were not prepared for the spectacular view that waited. I awoke around 7:30 am, open the drapes in my bedroom, and stood there for several minutes taking in the view.




Liza was also up and we went out in the back and took in the view in the warm, calm, sunny morning. Liza pointed over to Lions Head Mountain and told me that it was the mountain we were climbing with Bonita’s friends. Having some rock climbing experience, I looked at the mountain and thought to myself, I don’t think that is climbable without climbing gear. Knowing Liza’s difficulty understanding the accents, I thought for sure she misunderstood. I told her I doubted that was the mountain we were going to hike.


I was wrong. We meet Bonita’s friends German, Franc, and Mornié at the base for the hill and proceeded up the trail. The hike started out quite easy, but got more a little more challenging as we neared the top. It was a quite easy climb overall. There were a couple narrow spots in the trail, and two spots that required using a chain as a climbing rope and foot holds. Liza went before Rey and myself. She climbed the section without any problem and with a little coaching from coach Rey who was below her with me. I stood there looking up at her thinking that I should position myself to try to catch her in case she slips. Then, I looked down at the ledge that Rey and I were standing on. I positioned myself below Liza and my mind rapidly processed multiple scenarios for catching her in case she did slip. I convinced myself she wouldn’t and luckily she reached the next ledge as my mind still searched for a solution.




I found the chain a little slick and contemplated resorting to real climbing techniques, but decided not to try switching since I was half way up the short section. The most difficult part of the climb for me was these two sections. Not because it was challenging, but because the shorts I was wearing weren’t suited for climbing and restricted my range of motion. That, and my volleyball abused knees, which screamed at me every time I pushed from one foot hold to the next. I told them to be shut up and ignored them.




We made it to the top in about 45 minutes, and were rewarded to the view and a bottle of Champaign, which German had carried in his back pack. What a wonderful welcoming to Cape Town, lekker view, weather, and people. We relaxed, shot photos, and soaked in the sun for about 30 minutes before heading back down.








After the hike, we followed Franc, and Mornié down the windy road to the Sandbar, a restaurant across the street from the beach in Camps Bay, where we were meeting up with Gareth and Bonita for brunch. On the drive down, Rey, who was adjusting to driving on the left hand side of the road in a rental car with a manual transmission, cut one of the left hand corners a little too close, hitting the curb. I looked out the window and see the hub cap flying off onto the shoulder. I didn’t laugh or rub it in (at that time). I just stated as a matter of fact “We lost a hub cap.” Rey thought I was kidding at first. It was a narrow road, and we were following those guys to the Sandbar, so we keep on going.






After brunch, we invited everyone over to the house to see the view, relax in the sun, and have a few drinks. A few other friends of theirs also stopped by. As I relaxed in the sun, I recalled that people at the safari telling us how different Joburg and Cape Town is from Kruger, which is understandable. I did miss the sounds of all the birds, frog, and insects. A few people even warned that the residence of Cape Town were very cliquish. So far, everyone I had met in Cape Town has been very nice and welcoming.

Being Rey’s 40th birthday, Rey, Liza, Gareth, Bonita, and I have dinner at the Showroom, which is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Cape Town. It reminded me of a most San Francisco restaurants. The décor was clean, simple, and modern. The food was good, but not exceptional. The plates were more decorative than tasty. At the time, I thought the food was good. I am currently on our flight out of South Africa (Joburg to Dakar). In retrospect, we ate at so many excellent restaurants and had more fresh seafood (and cocktails) than I had imagined before our trip. As Liza mentioned a couple times, she did not anticipate that Cape Town would have such incredible fresh seafood. I have to admit my own ignorance on this. Considering it is on the coast, it does make complete sense. (Duh!) If you ever travel to Cape Town, I would recommend many of the other restaurants and pass on the Showroom.

Being Rey’s birthday, I volunteered to drive. I was looking forward to the experience. I had never driven on the left hand side before. It wasn’t that difficult. The tough part is trying to gauge the distant on the left hand side of the car. As long as you focus on driving on the left hand side while making turns, it’s not that difficult. What I found funny was that without thinking, at first, I always tried to shift with my right hand. Your hand and mind soon realize, there’s no stick shift there. It’s the door. The stick shift is on the left hand side.


After dinner, to celebrate Rey’s 40th birthday, Bonita and Gareth take us to The Bronx, and local gay bar. At the door, after paying cover, we are greeted with a shoot. I was thinking to myself, I like this bar already. (Later, we learn that Gareth or Bonita ordered the shots.) When I saw the size of the shot glasses, I was no longer shocked or impressed by the fact that a group of ten people finished 150 shots in one night. These shot glasses are the size of a thimble, and filled to the brim with a sweet liquor. They tasted okay. The only problem was they were filled to the rim, and being very sweet, our hands were very sticky afterwards.

South Africa Fact

When making a toast, when you click your drink glass with another person, you must make eye contact with that person. Otherwise, it is seven years of bad sex. Rey, Liza, and I had sure that we made solid eye contact the rest of the trip. Towards the end of the trip, Rey and Liza started making fun of me for raising my eye brows and opening my eyes too wide during the toast. I wasn’t taking any chances. Seven years is a long time.

We hung out at the Bronx for a while, ordering several shots and trying to dance. The Bronx was typical of many gay bars. It had a variety of people and music. I don’t know. After awhile, they all look alike no matter what city you go to. There are exceptions. Especially if when it comes to clubs verses bars. The Bronx reminded me of any bar in any town.


It was my turn to buy, so I asked Gareth for a recommendation. He offered a recommendation, which I heard as Point and Silly. I thought, “Point and Silly,” what a silly name. So I repeated the name to him, which both Rey and Gareth got a good laugh out of. Rey translated it for me. It was Potency. I turn to the bar and ask the bar tender for a round of Potency’s. The bar tender said “What?” I paused, and being slightly bussed and a wise-ass, said “Point and Silly’s.” The bar tender nodded and grabbed a bottle, and held it up to confirm it was correct. Gareth nodded to the bar tender, who then started pouring the shots. I laughed to myself since Liza wasn’t near by to share it with. I couldn’t understand Gareth saying Potency, and the bartender couldn’t understand me saying Potency. But as soon as I repeated what I heard, Point and Silly, the bartender knew exactly what I wanted.

We leave the Bronx, and Bonita gives us quick directions. Take a right at the main street, follow it up over the hill, and turn left on Fulkaar Dr, where we are staying. We have Gareth’s Garmin in the rental car, so we aren’t too worried about finding our way back. That was mistake number one. We drive away and turn right on the main street as Bonita recommended. Rey is in control of the Garmin, which starts giving nonsensical directions. All I hear is “Turn Left. Turn Left. Turn Left.” But we know we are supposed to stay on this main road all the way over the hill. At one point, it says “You have reached your destination”, followed by “Turn left.” Rey tells the FLiB to shut up as he tries to figure out what’s going on with the (I won’t quote him exactly, but her nickname is now FLiB. “L” stands for Lame. Liza and I added the “I” to create her nickname.) We get to an intersection, where it appears that we have to turn left or right to stay on the main road. Straight ahead does not look like the main road. With FLiB still saying “Turn Left”, “you have reached your destination,” and at one point showing us on top of Table Mountain, I do the exact opposite. I turn right. Mistake number two. A right turn points down the wrong way down a one way and with traffic heading towards us from the left and head on, the only choice is a sharp right, which is basically making a U turn. (This is where the birthday boy claims to have had a near death experience.) Now we are heading in the opposite direction, back the way we came. FLiB, in the meantime, is still saying “Turn Left” and “You have reached your destination.” We all agree we need to get back on that main road heading up the hill. I turn left onto a side street to try to get back to the main street. Mistake number three. We are now on a side street in a less than desirable neighbor in an unfamiliar city. We quickly get back on the same road we were on, but still heading back down town. Rey calls Bonita, our friend host and tour guide for help. We make two right turns and head back up the road we were on the first time, and this time proceed straight up the hill. On the correct path, and heading down the hill into Camps Bay along the twisty road along the coast, FLiB says turn right. Rey says “Roger, don’t listen to her!” I laugh and tell him I won’t. A left turn would take us over the cliff towards the Atlantic Ocean. We make it home safe and sound, and add the experience to our adventure. However, Rey still claims he nearly lost his life. I think he’s out voted 2 to 1. Read Liza’s blog for her version of the story.

No comments: