Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday, December 7, 2008

This was the first day that we finally got to sleep in a little bit. Around 10 am, Gareth and Bonita stop by and we drive out to Franschhoek for "The Magic of Bubbles" cap Classis and Champagne Festival. As we leave town, we point out that this is where we lost the hub cap the day before. As we drive by, we see it on the side of the rode. We pull over and Rey jumps out to retrieve it. Me, camera in hand, can't pass up the photo op. I love my new Canon digital camera. It doesn't take as goof of pictures as my Nikon DSLR, but it's portable and I have no excuse not to take more pics.


We stay at the festival for a couple hours, sampling the different Champagnes and hiding for the heat of the sun. My favorite had to been my own Champagne. It was popular too. Well, of course it's not mine, but with the name Pol Roger, it became "mine." Liza and I decide to order a case and have it shipped to the States. While there, Rey and Liza talk to the people from The Kusasa Project about volunteering. Unfortunately, school is out for holiday, so we would not be able to volunteer for a day.




While talking to the gentleman from The Kusasa Project, I observe one of them constantly telling the young volunteer staff "Small and white, small and while." I'm thinking to myself, what an odd thing to say. Then I remember how I thought Point and Silly was odd, as was Table Monson and the parking gods, so I observe the guy for a while and finally figure out that he's telling them to "Smile and wave." Eish, will I ever get use to this accent?


On the way home, we take the scenic route. It took a little longer, but it was well worth it.




Once we got back to Cape Town, we stopped by the Waterfront Mall to pick up an internet modem from Vodafone and some other shopping. We thought we could rent one for each of us, but found out we had to buy them and prepay for data transfer. Rey, Liza, and I agree to buy only one and to share it while we are in South Africa.

We drive over to the Radisson for Cocktails, which where the weakest drinks we have had so far this trip.


After we finish our cocktail, we drive back to the Waterfront Mall for dinner at the Baia. I would highly recommend the Baia. Everything we ordered was excellent, and the desserts had to be the best we had the entire trip. Even better is the price. We had dinner for five people including starters, seafood, desserts, and two bottle of wine for only $250. I admit, when it came to food, we were completely spoiled the whole trip.


One of the many conversations we had that day involved food and restaurants. Gareth asked "Do you have KFC in the states?" Rey asked "Do you know what KFC stands for?" I looked at Gareth and I could tell by his grim that he did and he had just cracked a joke. Of course, I found it rather funny.

No comments: